Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wine Tasting #3, March 1


Wine 1) Muscanti Brut, $7.95 from Spain (No date)
This wine was interesting! It had a smooth bitterness to it while simultaneously being mouth-watering and acidic. It had a TON of flavor in my mouth -almost a bad wine to start with because the other wines couldn't quite overcome its intensity. According to the description this wine is made with the "Charmat" process, causing it to be called "Spanish Sparkling Wine," and it is also called a "Spanish Sparkler" in the description.
Wine 2) 2009 Spanish Vines Sauvignon Blanc, $4.95 from Spain
This wine was scored 85 points by Wine Enthusiast and is described as having apple and floral notes and an almost buttery taste as well. I completely agreed on the buttery aspect, however, I thought this wine was flat and a little tasteless. Though, as a friend pointed out, it may be the case that the previous wine had so much more to say it may have spoken over this second tasting, leaving me with the impression of a flat, weak wine.

Wine 3) 2009 Torrent Bay Chardonnay, $4.95 from New Zealand
I thought the smell of this wine had a smokiness to it; I also caught a slight citrus taste along with an overall smooth texture. The description mentioned oak flavors (OAK MONSTER, grr), melony aromas and a good fresshness/weight ratio.



Wine 4) Lost Vineyards Vinho de Mesa Tinto, $3.95 from Portugal (No date)
I can't believe how cheap this wine is! I found this wine to be not overly acidic, pretty significantly musty, smooth, and had a zip in the nose. The description states that this wine would go well with wild game and heavy fish and I fully agree with the fish recommendation. For me, the miscellaneous berries were slightly undercover in the wine; I didn't pick up on them as much as I picked up on the mustiness.
Wine 5) 2007 Ebano Ribera del Duero Tempranillo, $7.95 from Spain
This wine was scored 87 points by Robert Parker. The wine is 100% Tempranillo aged 4 months in French oak. It seemed to have a lot of complexity and I would have liked to drink it with some more time and pair it with foods as well. I noted that this wine was smooth and buttery while also acidic and dry in my mouth. It was spicy and juicy and flowery all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment