Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wine Tasting 1, February 2nd


After some solid instruction on how to properly taste wine, some friends of mine and I journeyed out to the Vintage Cellar (my first trip to the store) on Thursday, February 2nd - my first wine tasting!

This wine, The Royal Chenin Blanc, 2009 from South Africa was a not-so-whopping $4.95. Apparently this wine should not be drunk too cold, since the chill would cause you to lose much of the fruity flavors that give a "deceptive punch." I thought this wine had sweet and sour qualities.




Coldstream Hills, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009 from Yarra Valley, Australia. This wine was also incredibly expensive -not, at $7.95. I did not have much of a taste for this wine as I found it had a musty, earthy, almost vinegar-type taste to it. Considering the (to me) abnormal tastes in this wine and the rather complicated description of the wine, I think this wine is one for me to revisit as I and my pallet and sensitivities mature.

Marques de Moral Crianza Tempranillo, 2007 at $7.95. This wine's origin comes from Valdepenas, Spain. It has been given 87 points by Stephen Tanzer. I liked this wine because i agreed with the notes given regarding the cherry and rose aromas that came through to me. I liked that I picked up on the same things as the description did. This wine was very interesting, but it initially reminded me of cough syrup.

La Lapin, Multiplicity costing $6.95 and traveling from Paso Robles, California. I bought this wine to try at length. I thought it was earthy and sweet and really enjoyable. I agreed with the description that it had dark, deep fruity elements in the smell and taste.





This was a fun one! Opera Prima Moscato, costing $5.95 from Spain. This wine made me think "pink" and "fun" and "sweet," and that was pretty much it for me. It didn't seem to have a lot of depth, but the description noted things like honeydew and lime which I did not pick up on. After consideration, though, I thought I sensed a taste of grapefruits and sweet oranges.




No comments:

Post a Comment